Friday, December 12, 2008

Cloud paintings


My latest series of paintings have been of the clouds of the Keys. When I first moved to South Florida I was not particularly impressed with the landscape, it can be quite flat and boring. Several years ago I moved to Key West and was awestruck by the beauty of the atmosphere caused by being a tiny island surrounded by water, and the luscious and ever changing cloud scapes. I found that no matter how my day went, that if I set aside 15 minutes each evening to view the sunset I would be calmed and reminded how lucky I was to be able to witness such beauty.

As an artist I am very aware of my surroundings and the atrocities that continue to go on in the world, these clouds became my soothing balm at the end of each day. Painting the clouds are very challenging as they are constantly moving, they are made up of air, thus light is passing through them and changing all the time. Clouds have the ability to stir all kinds of emotions from reminding you of your childhood when you spotted bunnies hopping through the sky, to the angry red sunsets that follow on the heels of a hurricane. So instead of painting objects I am attempting to capture feelings and emotions. Take a look and follow my cloud series, hopefully they will make you smile or bring calm to your soul

1 comment:

Fran said...

Caren, I have been a longtime fan of your art and now I think your blog is as lovely as your paintings. Keep up the good work!
Fran