Thursday, January 15, 2009

Going it Alone

I find that the skies are most interesting when storms or hurricanes are coming. The unique storm clouds as well as the reflection of the sky and water make for some very unusual paintings. Often I am asked if the colors I paint are true and some of my viewers believe I am making up the color. In reality I more often find it harder to paint the subtleties while depicting the vibrancy of the color at the same time. I am well aware that I am painting with a tangible medium something that is not tangible and is in constant motion. The elements of air, sun rays, clouds and water as well as atmospheric pressure cause all kinds of surreal effects to take place in our skies. This painting was done during the long wait to find out if Hurricane Wilma would land in Key West, or blow by us. Luckily for us we were spared the harsh effects of this storm, and enjoyed many hours of strong wind gusts, but not enough to endanger our homes. This painting is 20" x 16" painted in oil on canvas. Selling $250

No comments: